An original design by Florip Toolworks. Your cut is only as accurate as your layout line. NOTE: DUE TO HIGH ORDER VOLUME CURRENT WAIT TIME FOR A MARKING GAUGE IS AROUND 65 DAYS.
Pre-Orders for the new dovetail layout tool! Will begin shipping mid February.
My inspiration for this tool:
First…..I feel that many standard dovetail layout tools fall into the category of “one trick pony”. I don’t see the value in buying a separate unit for each traditional dovetail angle. Unless you’re laying out dovetails, they’re not good for much.
Second….I regularly use an angle gauge to transfer lines. All gauges that I own are functional from the face side only. In order to transfer an opposing line I would need to reset the gauge or try to half rest the gauge on a flat edge.
Third….I love making high quality/functional woodworking tools.
Body (solid brass)
4” Long (index marks represent a 1” scale)
1” Tall (index marks represent 1” scale)
There are linear marks representing 90 degrees, 45 degrees, 15 degrees and 7 degrees.
Blade (stainless steel)
AS WITH ALL MY TOOLS- IF YOU’RE NOT COMPLETELY SATISFIED, SEND IT BACK FOR A FULL REFUND.
$65 plus $8 shipping
The Little One
- Flat on the fence allows the user to strike a line on material 1/8” thick while it is supported on a work surface. Also prevents rolling.
- Shaft length is 5 1/2”
- 1/2” O-1 cutter
- 1.5” wide fence
- Fence is counterbored to allow full retraction of the cutter.
- Shaft material is full hard phosphor bronze….it’s good stuff.
$65 plus $8 shipping
“The Big One”
I designed and built this gauge because I wasn’t happy with the generic wheel marking gauge I had been using. My main complaints were:
- Small fence - Would allow the gauge to pivot as I marked my work.
- Round fence - Allowed the gauge to roll off the workbench.
- Poor fit - The cutter would come loose from the shaft and the fence had a sloppy fit.
- Overall feel - I wasn’t confident in the tools ability to put down consistent layout lines.
Below is a list of features that make up the Florip Toolworks gauge.
- Micro adjust with 5/8” travel.
- 2” wide fence to provide a solid footprint on your workpiece.
- Hexagonal fence to prevent the gauge from rolling off the bench.
- With just under 9” of length, this marking gauge will tackle most of your layout needs.
- Easy to sharpen O1 tool steel cutter.
- Stainless shaft.
- It’s often called “beefy”.
$110 plus $10.00 shipping